Thursday, August 14, 2008

Reacting to one of the Lahiri quoted segments

"Human nature will not flourish, any more than a potato, if it be planted and replanted, for too long a series of generations, in the same worn-out soil. My children have had other birthplaces, and, so far as their fortunes may be within my control, shall strike their roots into unaccustomed earth."

-Nathaniel Hawthorne,
"The Custom-House"
My interpretation of this quote is that people will eventually get tired of their own living environment, and they will want to be in a new environment and settle down to explore and “plant” their roots into the new soil. I have been living in Tien Mu, Taipei for at least 10 years, I witnessed the rise and fall of Tien Mu area, and life here is getting boring for me. I always wanted to move out of Taipei and get my own living space and life.
I really like to travel, and I am really jealous of the life Kaushik has: always traveling around, experiencing new cultures as he works in different places. I would like to have a life like that in the future.
I still remember the first time I traveled with my family to Japan than to US for a month. During the month, we stayed in hotels, visited attractions, and enjoy different kind of Japanese cuisines. Then, we went to US to attend my cousin’s wedding and travel to Las Vegas, visiting the Grand Canyon on the way. We slept in the hotels at night and I took lots of photo during our visit to attractions, and I really enjoy this kind of life.Upon reading the quote by Nathaniel Hawthorne, it reminds me of my past traveling experience, and it helps me to plan my future.

1 comment:

Nicholas L said...

You have a good point. But I don't see why people have to move to live socially in a good neighborhood back in India?